Thursday, April 28, 2011

Bonding over Daytime Drama

Luke's Intervention is the subject of General Hospital today. I have been a fan of GH since I was in junior high. My mom worked in real estate and used to rush home in order to see GH. Those were the days before dvr's and Soap Net. If you weren't in front of the tv at 3 p.m., you missed it. My mom eventually gave up daytime television but I didn't.

Although I worked outside the home, I still managed to keep up with the goings on in Port Charles.

My youngest daughter, who is now in her first year of high school, is starting to get "hooked" on GH also. It started slowly when she noticed the character Ethan and soon she got caught up in the characters.

It is amusing to me at times. Many times as I watched my ABC soaps she would complain that it was the worst acting ever and so "boring". Now she is hooked.

The Spencer family is still reeling from the death of little Jake who was accidently struck and killed by a car that was driven by Luke Spencer. Luke is one of the most contraversial daytime characters ever. He date raped Laura and later married her in the biggest soap opera wedding ever. They went on to have two children together and although Laura is no longer on the show, Luke is still Luke.

His family will be confronting his drinking today. His drinking has always been seen as just part of who he is but after he was the one who killed his own grandson, Lucky decided that enough was enough. It is time for Luke to face his drinking as being a problem.

Daytime television tackles tough issues. It isn't always bed-hopping and crazy, unrealistic situations. The subjects of drug abuse, alcoholism, abortion, lesbianism, post traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder; I could go on.

With the recent cancellation of two of ABC's long running daytime dramas, an era is ending. All My Children and One Life to Live have been a part of our lives for over 40 years. Even though many soap followers joke that you could miss a week and jump back in- knowing that they were always there was something you could rely on. It is an escape and also comfort. Following characters throughout their lives made them feel familiar.

For now, I will enjoy these two soaps until they are gone and hope that now that Emmi and I have found something to bond over we get to enjoy it for years to come. In the ever-changing world of daytime television, it doesn't seem likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment